NASCO’s three Commissions:
- provide a forum for consultation and co-operation on the conservation, restoration, enhancement and rational management of salmon stocks
- propose regulatory measures
- makes recommendations on scientific research.
North American Commission
Members of the Commission:
- take measures to minimise by-catches of salmon originating in the rivers of the other member
- will not alter fishing patterns in salmon fisheries in a manner resulting in initiation of fishing or increase in catches of salmon originating in the rivers of another Party, without the consent of the latter
In 1994 the Commission adopted Protocols for the Introduction and Transfer of Salmonids.
In 1995 the Commission adopted a Memorandum of Understanding to reconcile the different methods
each country uses for authorization of introductions and transfers.
The Chair is Patrick Keliher (USA)
The Vice-chair is Tony Blanchard (Canada)
North-East Atlantic Commission
Canada and the United States of America have the right to submit and vote on proposals for regulatory measures concerning salmon stocks originating in their rivers and occurring off East Greenland.
The Chair is Viktor Rozhnov (Russian Federation)
The Vice-chair is Svein Magnason (Denmark in respect of the Faroe Islands and Greenland)
West Greenland Commission
The Chair is Carl McLean (Canada)
The Vice-chair is Stephen Gephard (USA)